Today’s Morning Brief is being made available to you by HealthCareCAN. “We must not fail to fund our future and ensure that Canadians have fair access to quality health services when and where they need it.” – HealthCareCAN, the national voice of Canadian hospitals, health organizations and health research institutes. Find out more here.
Good morning and happy solstice.
– – Canada restricts travel from the UK after a new virus strain was found there. It is joining Ireland, France, Germany, Italy and other countries to restrict travel out of the country after the new variant was found to spread rapidly in London and south-east England. There’s no evidence that the new variant is more lethal, but it appears to be up to 70 percent more transmissible. It is blamed for an increase in the number of cases, despite the country’s harsh lockdown.
Here is an explanation for the new strain.
– – Ontario lockdown: The Ford government will announce a nationwide lockdown today, including school closings, Global News reports. It is said to take 28 days in most parts of the province, but only two weeks in the north. In addition to keeping elementary school students at home, the measures would include a ban on indoor social gatherings, closing non-essential stores, and restricting restaurants and bars to take-out. CBC reports the lockdown will begin on Christmas Eve.
Nunavut has recorded its first ever COVID deaths.
– – Trudeau says he is “not eager” on a choicebut is ready for one if needed. “If the opposition parties decide we’re not doing the right thing, it could be very difficult to govern,” he told CBC’s Rosemary Barton.
Meanwhile, Global News reports on how Elections Canada officials have been trying to prepare for a possible pandemic election this year.
– – Canada targeted in the Russian hack: Microsoft says Canada was among the targets of recent hacks on US government departments and private companies. The company’s president, Brad Smith, said in a blog post that Canada was hit.
News tip? Let us know: [email protected]
AROUND THE WORLD
– – The US Congress has signed a COVID aid agreement: Legislators announced yesterday evening a $ 900 billion bailout that will relieve small businesses, healthcare workers and the unemployed, and aid vaccine distribution.
– – Moderna rollout: The US began distributing Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine on Saturday. It had been selling Pfizer’s vaccine since last week. To date, more than 3,700 locations will receive the vaccine.
– – Elsewhere: UK and European negotiators miss another deadline. Al Jazeera journalists hacked. An increase in cases in Thailand. Elon Musk talks about Bitcoin. Racism in the fashion industry. New Zealand announced its word of the year.
IN OTHER HEADLINES
WHAT WE READ
ICYMI FROM IPOLITICS
BOX OF THE DAY
Sesame Street created two new Muppet characters for refugee children. Noor and Aziz are six-year-old Rohingya twins who will be featured in educational videos for children in Cox’s Bazar.
And don’t forget to look at the stars tonight.