Politics

Syria: Islamic State murdered at least 37 people, including civilians, in jihad bombing buses on the main street

Biden is coming, the heat is out and for Islamic State it’s Let the Good Times Roll

“Syria: Dozen Killed in Isis Bus Attack,” by Bethan McKernan, Guardian, December 31, 2020:

At least 37 people in Syria were killed in one of the largest attacks by the Islamic state since the fall of the self-proclaimed caliphate last year.

Wednesday’s attack reportedly targeted a convoy of Syrian regime soldiers and militiamen returning from vacation to their posts in Deir ez-Zor province, a mainly desert-like area on the border with Iraq.

The official state news agency Sana reported that 25 civilians were killed and 13 injured in a terrorist attack on a bus on Main Street. Other sources, including local residents, a military defector and the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR), raised the toll, claiming soldiers were on board. A source told Reuters that the men were from Bashar al-Assad’s fourth elite brigade.

According to SOHR, in a well-planned operation near the village of Shula, the bus was ambushed by jihadists who set up a checkpoint to stop the convoy and detonate bombs before opening fire. Two more buses escaped.

“It was one of the deadliest attacks since the fall of the Isis Caliphate (self-proclaimed),” the head of the observatory, Rami Abdel Rahman, told AFP.

Related Articles